Analytics is the discovery and communication of meaningful patterns in data. Especially valuable in areas rich with recorded information. Analytics often favors data visualization to communicate insight.
No decision is left to chance. Everyone throughout your organization can gain new insight, identify opportunities and act faster by applying analytics.
In the industry of analytics software, the challenges of analyzing massive, complex data sets, often when such data is in a constant state of change. Such data sets are commonly referred to as big data. Whereas once the problems posed by big data were only found in the scientific community, today big data is a problem for many businesses that operate transactional systems online and, as a result, amass large volumes of data quickly.
The analysis of unstructured data types is another challenge getting attention in the industry. Unstructured data differs from structured data in that its format varies widely and cannot be stored in traditional relational databases without significant effort at data transformation. Sources of unstructured data, such as email, the contents of word processor documents, PDFs, geospatial data, etc., are rapidly becoming a relevant source of business intelligence for businesses, governments and universities.
From business intelligence to financial performance and strategy management to analytics applications, Cognos software can provide what your organization needs to become top-performing and analytics-driven. With products for the individual, workgroup, department, midsize business and large enterprise, Cognos software is designed to help everyone in your organization make the decisions that achieve better business outcomes—for now and in the future.
IBM Cognos Business Intelligence turns data into past, present and future views of your organization's operations and performance so your decision makers can capitalize on opportunities and minimize risks. You can use these views to understand the immediate and downstream effects of decisions that span potentially complex interrelated factors. Consistent snapshots of business performance are provided in enterprise-class reports and independently assembled dashboards based on trusted information. As a result, non-technical and technical business intelligence (BI) users and IT alike can respond quickly to rapidly changing business needs.
Cognos Business Intelligence provides capabilities designed to provide:
- Faster time to answers about business from highly visual, interactive dashboards without lengthy deployment delays
- Easier access to game-changing insights with interactive data visualizations that enable you to more easily identify performance issues and apply corrective actions
- Smarter decisions that drive a better outcome from snapshots of business performance
- Trusted data for more consistent decisions without data drift or duplication
- Flexible cloud and on-premise deployment options that can grow as your business grows and help you meet diverse organizational requirements
Planning, budgeting, forecasting, analysis and scorecarding software
IBM Cognos® TM1® is an enterprise planning software platform that can transform your entire planning cycle, from target setting and budgeting to reporting, scorecarding, analysis and forecasting. Available as an on-premise or on-cloud solution, and with extensive mobile capabilities, Cognos TM1 enables you to collaborate on plans, budgets and forecasts. You can analyze data, and create models – including profitability models – to reflect a constantly evolving business environment. In addition, integrated scorecards and strategy management capabilities help you monitor performance metrics and align resources and initiatives with corporate objectives and market events.
- Powerful planning and analysis – Create and analyze sophisticated plans, budgets and forecasts, even those based on large data sets.
- Integrated scorecards and strategy management – Model metrics to measure progress toward objectives and link them dynamically to actions and forecasts.
- Flexible modeling – Develop and deploy even the most complex planning and analysis models using a guided modeling environment.
- Engagement with more users – Engage users from across the organization in high-participation planning and collaborate with remote and distributed users through a range of mobile devices, including the Apple iPad.
- Cloud-based deployment option – Provide all the functionality of the on-premise solution with optional cloud-based deployment.
Financial reporting and process automation
IBM® Cognos® Disclosure Management is a secure, collaborative, enterprise-scalable reporting and process automation solution that enables users to merge enterprise data with focused narrative analysis in a controlled, auditable environment. It enables organizations both large and small–from multinationals to midsize companies–to automate the collection of data in a single, dynamic reporting and analysis solution. Multiple participants in different departments can collaborate in the assembly of complex reports, working independently while ensuring that proper controls and approvals are in place. Cognos Disclosure Management provides integrated tagging to use on various regulatory filings and can create extension taxonomies with pivot based navigation for easy review.
- Enterprise disclosure management—Combine financial data from a variety of sources with in-depth narrative analysis for internal and external reporting across any department.
- Financial management process automation—Replace time-consuming manual processes with intelligent process design and automation.
- Security, control and governance—Manage documents in a collaborative yet secure environment with visibility into the report generation process.
- Multi-jurisdictional XBRL support—Enable multi-national organizations to use a single reporting/tagging solution.
- Cloud-based deployment—Provide all the functionality of the on-premise solution with the flexibility of the cloud.